FreeNAS® 9.10 – Certificate Authority & SSL Certificates

** Instructions in this video still apply for FreeNAS 11.x **

In this tutorial, we’ll be going over the basics of CA and SSL certificates in FreeNAS 9.10. More information on certificates on FreeNAS can be found here:

Bookmarks:
1) CA & SSL overview (0:34)
2) Create Internal CA (1:30)
3) Export Certificate (2:15)
4) Import to web browser (2:27)
5) Create Self-Signed Certificate (3:12)
6) Enable HTTPS (3:55)

Visit the FreeNAS website at to download the latest version.

For more information on iXsystems’ Servers & Storage, visit

Purchase a FreeNAS Mini here:

Kevin Toussaint · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

Hi, thank you for your video but I've done everything but after that it's note taking the https and now it's saying that I'm not in security, how do I fix that ?

Vincent Brandon · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

You need to put the local IP of your FreeNAS server in both the common name and alternative name fields for the internal certificate in order for the box to be trusted on Chrome if accessed on LAN. Haven't tries SSH from outside the network yet…

Philly Steez · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

Still says not secure…WTF?

Durahl · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

So I did this and while the Certificate is working and I'm able to log into FreeNAS the Certificate is basically marked as untrustworthy ( red ).

How do I fix that?

Richard Thibert · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

Great instruction, I got SSL going for FreeNAS, in my case I need instruction to install SSL for my FREENAS NEXTCLOUD, can you help ?

Jacob Ennis · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

I was having trouble at first, but then realized my time zone setting in FreeNAS was incorrect and think that might have been the problem. I changed the time zone and remade the certificates, and now it works just fine.

Sunshinealley · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

that helped alot, thanks!

Not A Name · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

You call the certificate created at 3:12 "self-signed". This is not correct, as this one is signed by the CA's signing key you had generated before. The CA certificate is a self-signed one, though, since its private key is used to sign the information in its own certificate, including the corresponding public key (the GUI actually says so, as the "issuer" column shows "self-signed").

Travis Erdmann · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

I followed this and now I'm locked out of my webgui…

ScouttedZed · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

i tried doing this, and i keep getting this error
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
i added the certificated to Trusted Root Certification.

Sign the ISOs and use TLS! · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

WOW!!!!!……..How about offering a secure download of your product. Is this a joke or what?? thx FreeNSA team

ashurbanipul · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

They need to change the behavior of the HTTP, HTTPS and HTTP-HTTPS option. The last one defaults to HTTP. It should be the other way around. If HTTPS is available, use that before defaulting back to HTTP.

James Bourgeois · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

I get a different Certification Manager than you and it shows two tabs for Authorities,one Internal and the other one trusted root.Not sure where to go after this

JoJo Mekkattil · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

Do you have a how to video on installing mysql on to freenas or if you don't can you do one?

Rocky Henry · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

i have wiped my computer and cleared all the information on my computer because I forgot my password so when I went back on and was going on the Internet they said certificate not valid how do I fix this?

Mr.Raspb3rryJam · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

Very helpful, thank you.

Hugo Floss · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

I love your videos. Could you kindly post a step by step tutorial/guideline on how to ssh a freenas server over the public network(internet) from my home. I would like to access and modify files.

Wayne Lockwood · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

Love these videos, more please. Love FreeNAS.

John Kinder · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am

i move to 9.10 its ok buy when i go and try to start a plugin i just install it gives me a error im thinking of going back to 9.3 did not have any problems

Jake Abel · June 18, 2018 at 6:09 am