UniFi Network Types Explained

In the last video we looked at USG firewall rules. I created this video to better explain the network choices that are available to you in UniFi. We walk through setting up a Corporate, Guest, VLAN Only, Site-to-Site, and VPN Client network.

Consulting Contact:
Forum Link:
Support Agreement:

UniFi USG:
Synology RT2600AC:
EdgeRouter X:
EdgeRouter X SFP:
EdgeRouter 5 PoE:
EdgeRouter 8 Pro:
UniFi AP Pro:

Support my channel and keep the lab growing!

Come back for the next video!
Twitter – @WillieHowe
Instagram – @howex5

SUBSCRIBE! THUMBS-UP! Comment and Share!

Jack Adams Daniels · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Really Helpful

Tasos Nikolaidis · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Nice video! I have a question about USG, can you use LAN2 port for split your internet connection in two different networks and give group policies (download &upload speed) .

Jorge · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Easy to follow, thanks.

Zapstapp Zapstapp · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Thanks Willie. Your videos are very helpful.

Lars Lietzen · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Hi Thanks for your video. I didnt understand the VPN Section. is this also "locked" from the corporate network(s)? Or how do you allow it to be routed to the corporate network Lan(s)?

Best regards Lars

Tommy bee · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

HI Willie

Thx for all u videos. U the best. Got video request. Can u make a video about SAMBA and/or cross subnet network browsing with VPN LAN users and site-to-site LAN users and Local Network User computers and WINS?. All the netowrks can be mix linux and Windows. The browser network computer list should be all the same across all the subnets allowing users to see each other computers and ex. printers to share files etc. I have not dont it on the ubiquiti equipment yet, CAN THIS BE DONE? Will u use the feature ARP PROXY on interface to enable broadcast traffic to flow between sub nets.

>Thanks

Robert Kamphuis · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

thanks for the video. One thing I find unclear: If I setup a VPN-network for remote users on the USG, like you have shown, what do I need to do to get traffic from those vpn-clients to reach the servers on the corporate LAN behind the USG?

Luftdrone.dk · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Thanks for clearing up the various network types in the USG setup. I have a tricky situation with my ISP/Internet/TV-boxes which I would love to get some advice on based off this new knowledge but not sure where to post this?

Ian MacIntosh · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Thanks for the videos they are great! Have you thought about lowering your resolution on your screen so everything would be easier to read on our end?

wolfster83 · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Hi Willie, thanks for the explanation. Clears up a few things already. I want to create a separate WiFi Network/Network for my Smart Home Devices. Could you maybe Explain, how to create and tag a Wireless Network to a specific LAN without being able to talk to each other? Currently I am using a Wireless Guest Network for this… Thank you, wolfster

Jonathan Corral · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Can you do a video on how to create a MGMT VLAN?

hEy tHeRe · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

0 likes tho🔥

Linux Pc4Me · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Thanks so much! The more I watch the more I learn….. Here is a question: All the videos on firewall rules are done on a USG. Can I take these same rulesets and apply them on an EdgeRouter X / Lite?

lilbo876 · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Willie could you do a video on cloud key dealing with the storage and how to delete some of the stuff that might be taking up that space. Thanks!

Dale Miracle · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

This is a great video! Thanks for making it +Willie Howe. Your videos should the ones that Ubiquiti uses to train people on their equipment.

AJ · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Great video! How can you share a network printer across all vlans including guest ?

David Romero · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Great Video. question. dose the guest network you show here. would isolate each other.? ie if guest in VLan 2 and guest 2 on Vlan 5 can see and talk to each other? thank again..

Wiebo Westerhof · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Clear video on a topic that remains confusing to many. I have an EdgeRouter Pro8, but the way you explained this for UniFi is excellent. Thanks!

Nolan Regenwether · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

This is perfect. These zones threw me for a pretty big loop when I first set up my network. Thank you

Ryan Finchum · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

didn't there use to be a "Voice" option? what happened to it? are they going to put it back once they introduce LLDP-MED to the GUI?

alastair cassels · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Willie appreciate the video as always. For further background…what is the benefit of creating a corporate network (and applying applicable network rules to segregate it) versus creating a guest network? Is it just two different ways of achieving the same thing, or are there other benefits to creating the corporate network?

James Tuke · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Willie, thanks so much for doing this video. I was always a bit hazy about this and now, with so many IoT devices around which seem to be affected by more and more hacking attempts on a daily basis, I feel more confident about separating them all from the corporate network. I also agree with the comments below and have also learnt so much from you and Chris about these revolutionary networking products – Thanks again and keep it up!

shan jose · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

This is like the first official guide to Unifi networks. Great video Willie.

Oliver Quinn · June 24, 2018 at 6:27 am

Did you do let's encrypt with Google domain and Cloud controller on Google cloud console?